In this blog I am going to cover my third day in Goa. Third day was my favourite of entire stay because we covered The Dudhsagar Falls. It is a four tiered waterfall located on the Mandovi river. The waterfall forms the border between Karnataka and Goa.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
This was true in our case. In my last blog I had mentioned we couldn’t make it to the Falls because of shortage of Jeeps, we being late and the crowd of course. I did a lot of research on the internet about the Falls the night before and literally slept at 3:00 AM.
How to reach Dudhsagar Falls?
If you’re travelling by bus make sure to catch the first bus of the day to Panjim. The falls is 60 km from Panjim. We wanted to reach there before the booking counter opens which is at 8:00 AM but it wasn’t possible as we were travelling by the local bus and we had to change 3 buses to reach Kolem. First bus from Candolim to Panjim, second from Panjim to Molem and third from Molem to Kolem. We reached Molem by 9:00 AM and took a bike cab to Kolem instead of the bus. If you are travelling by your rental vehicles even better but for the ones who can’t ride or drive there is always an option to hire a cab. As it was just two of us, so we got a bike cab and it really was safe. There are shops at Molem that provides the cab services. Hence we were at Kolem by 9:20 AM. After standing in the queue for 3 hours we got our vehicle. So the entire jeep costs Rs 3500 and it can accommodate 6-7 people at a time. If you’re a solo traveller or a small group you have to wait until the authorities form a group of 6-7 people. We had to wait until there were others who could come along with us in the Jeep. It is a 45 minutes Jeep safari inside the wild life sanctuary and I tell you the ride was adventurous. The wait was worth while.
After we reached…
The jeep dropped us at the parking and we had 1 and half hours to return back to the parking area. The walk from the parking to the falls is 20 mins. It was the best 40 mins of my life (to and fro). There are man made small bridges and then there are natural bridges of stones. We climbed up the stones to reach the Falls. The sea of milk, Dudhsagar Falls, is magnificent. It is surrounded by the western ghats and the view is breathtaking. The amazing thing is to experience when a train passes by the Falls.
I had been wanting go to the falls every time I have been to Goa but it couldn’t happen. This time I made sure no matter what, I will make it happen along with Sushma and the universe heard us. The view was spectacular as the area is surrounded by the deciduous forests. The water was cold and pleasant. If you’re getting inside the water life jacket is compulsory to wear whether you could swim or not. If you don’t wish to go inside the water you can just chill on the rocks and catch the glance of universe.
- If you are carrying plastic bottles you have to come back with the same number of bottles. The forest authorities will mark the number of bottles on the pass and while coming back they will check.
- There will be a huge crowd and the queue will be very slow moving. Make sure to eat something and carry a bottle of water. There are breakfast shops around the ticket counter. Be prepared to stand in the queue for a long time.
- Carry an extra pair of clothes to change near the falls.
- The link for the online booking https://www.ticketpapa.com/ . When we tried booking the previous night the payment failed. It asks for you to pay for the entire jeep even though you’re a solo traveller or a small group.
- The time limit is 1 and half hours for the jeeps to stay back. So if you’re late, you need pay extra. We reached at 1:00 PM and we had to be back by 2:30 PM.
- It’s going to be very hot standing in the queue for 3 long hours. Don’t forget to wear sunscreen and carry a hat or stole.
- The ticket counter opens at 8:00 AM, it would be really convenient if you could make it on or before 8:00 AM.
Jeep Safari – Rs 3500 per jeep
Life jacket – Rs 40 per person
Bhagwan Mahavir Wildlife Sanctuary entry fee – Rs 50
Additional charges for cameras (no charges for the cell phone)